A Brief History
Salisbury United Church has a rich history and includes beginnings from three churches — Salisbury, Bremner and Clover Bar.
In 1886, early settlers in the area around what is now Sherwood Park established a Methodist Church congregation. Services were held in private homes, and later in a school. This first church was titled the West Salisbury Methodist Church. The first Sunday School was established in 1903. About that time, the Salisbury District comprised sixteen square miles bounded by what is now Edmonton with 17th Street on the west, Baseline Road on the north, approximately Clover Bar Road on the east, and Township Road 522 on the south. It took its name from Lord Salisbury who became Prime Minister of Great Britain in 1894.
The first West Salisbury Methodist Church was built at Salisbury Corner (which is now part of the clover leaf located at the Sherwood Park Freeway and Highway 14) in 1915. Many families, including Anglican, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic worked together to build the community church. A Ladies Aid was established in 1921 at this church; they contributed to improvements in the interior and furnishes of the church. The history of the church notes “The men of the congregation did the construction and the ladies paid the bills.”
In 1925, the union of three denominations (Methodist, Congregationalists and some Presbyterians) formed the United Church of Canada, and Salisbury has belonged to the United Church of Canada up to today. A new church building was erected in 1959. Volunteer workers included some of the first residents of Sherwood Park. In 1964, the building was actually moved to its present site at Broadmoor Boulevard and Mission Street, in order to make way for the new clover leaf at Salisbury Corner. At that time the church was surrounded by open farm fields.
In 1970, Salisbury United Church supported the development of the Clover Bar Pioneer Court when funds were released for that purpose from the closure of nearby Bremner and Clover Bar United Churches. Pioneer Court was officially opened in 1970 by the former Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta, Dr. J. W. Grant MacEwan, and the former moderator of the United Church of Canada, Dr. Robert B. McClure. In 1981, the church building was further enlarged with the addition of a large Christian education facility to accommodate a growing Sunday School program.
Most recently the church has updated the worship technology used in the sanctuary to include large-screen projection. A Discovery Zone for children's use during services has been created. A meditation and hospitality room has also been created to respond to changing congregational life.